Have you ever wondered if you can build muscle on a keto diet? Discover the science behind the ketogenic diet for athletes, longterm keto tips, and more! [FREE] 🔥E-BOOK: “The Keto Kickstart Guide: 4 Steps to Burning Fat Instead of Sugar” | http://www.ketokickstartguide.com
BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THESE RELATED VIDEOS:
// T I M E S T A M P S
Welcome to the Keto Kamp Podcast Episode 35 with Dr. Ryan P. Lowery!
Today, I am lucky to have here with me a CEO, author, president of the Applied Science and Performance Institute, and someone who is consistently working to spread awareness around the Ketogenic Lifestyle, Dr. Ryan P. Lowery.
[00:30] September 10, 2002
– Ryan’s dad drove him down to the shore because something was wrong with his grandmother. When he got there, his grandmother had passed.
– His grandmother was obese, which ultimately contributed to her passing in her early 60’s.
[03:45] The Future of Obesity
– The obesity trend in children is unacceptable.
– Obesity trends are not only in America, but it is also happening all over the world.
[06:50] How Ryan Started with Keto
– Ryan is a self-proclaimed carboholic.
[10:00] Biggest Reason for the Keto Flu
– It is going to take time for your body to adjust to using fat as fuel.
– The use of electrolytes can mitigate a lot of the flu. Sodium has been demonized; however, you need to be salting everything.
[13:45] Building Muscle with the Ketogenic Diet
– You need to allow time for the adaptation period. The phase may be one to three weeks. Plus, you probably will not be training as hard.
– After you adapt, the ketogenic diet group will gain just as much muscle as individuals who are eating a carbohydrate diet. Each group ate the exact same amount of protein.
[17:40] Why People Fail with the Ketogenic Diet
– A lot of people do not have the right information about the ketogenic diet.
– Also, people have trouble understanding what constitutes a well-formulated ketogenic diet and how to get electrolytes.
[20:10] Long-Term Keto Success
– 1. Dial-in the electrolytes. Don’t be afraid of having tons of sodium. However, you don’t want table salt.
– 2. Movement – if you want long-term benefits, you need some form of movement. This doesn’t have to be doing squats at the gym; you could be going for a walk or a hike once a day.
– 3. Mindset – Ryan calls it intermittent eating rather than intermittent fasting. Find a place where you are comfortable.
[24:00] Working Out While Fasting
– If your goal is to become a bodybuilder, working out while fasting probably won’t help with that goal.
[27:35] The Ketogenic Bible
– The Ketogenic Bible: The Authoritative Guide to Ketosis makes understanding keto practical.
– Jacob Wilson and Ryan Lowery offer a comprehensive look at the ketogenic diet and the fat-burning state it induces, ketosis.
[35:00] The Applied Science & Performance Institute
[39:00] The Ketogenic Diet Puts You at a Metabolic Advantage
– You are burning fat at a higher rate with ketosis.
– All calories are not the same. Carb calories vs. fiber calories are completely different.
– If you are trying to diet on a low-fat diet vs. a low-carb diet, the adherence rate to a low-carb diet is much higher.
[49:00] What Ryan is Most Excited About
[55:30] The Definition of Perfect Health
Resources from this episode:
● Visit Ryan’s Website: https://drlowery.com/about-me/
● Visit http://www.Ketogenic.com
● Watch Ryan’s KetoCon 2018 Talk: http://bit.ly/2nK1Dr1
○ YouTube: http://bit.ly/2nHuyfG
○ Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ryanplowery/
● The Ketogenic Bible: https://amzn.to/2m8JeE4
#keto #ketodiet #ketosis
This podcast is for information purposes only. Statements and views expressed on this podcast are not medical advice. This podcast including Ben Azadi disclaim responsibility from any possible adverse effects from the use of information contained herein. Opinions of guests are their own, and this podcast does not accept responsibility of statements made by guests. This podcast does not make any representations or warranties about guests qualifications or credibility. Individuals on this podcast may have a direct or non-direct interest in products or services referred to herein. If you think you have a medical problem, consult a licensed physician.