The effects of eating only 5 days a week or a fasting-mimicking diet 5 days a month.
Get the preface for Dr. Greger’s brand-new book, How Not to Diet, by subscribing to his free newsletter at https://nutritionfacts.org/subscribe.
How interesting was that?! All-you-can-eat above-ground vegetables for 5 days would have that same low amount of protein, sugars, and calories with zero animal protein or animal fat. But, we’ll probably never know if it works as well, better, or worse since it’s hard to imagine such a study ever getting done without the financial incentive.
More on IGF-1 in my video Animal Protein Compared to Cigarette Smoking (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/animal-protein-compared-cigarette-smoking/).
So far in this fasting series I’ve covered the basics of calories and weight loss:
• The 3,500 Calorie per Pound Rule Is Wrong (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-3500-calorie-per-pound-rule-is-wrong)
• The Reason Weight Loss Plateaus When You Diet (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-reason-weight-loss-plateaus-when-you-diet)
• The New Calories per Pound of Weight Loss Rule? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-new-calories-per-pound-of-weight-rule)
• The Benefits of Calorie Restriction for Longevity (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/The-Benefits-of-Calorie-Restriction-for-Longevity)
• Potential Pitfalls of Calorie Restriction (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/potential-pitfalls-of-calorie-restriction)
• Benefits of Fasting for Weight Loss Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/benefits-of-fasting-for-weight-loss-put-to-the-test)
• Is Fasting Beneficial for Weight Loss? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-fasting-beneficial-for-weight-loss)
• Is Fasting for Weight Loss Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Is-Fasting-for-Weight-Loss-Safe)
…and types of alternate-day fasting:
• Alternate-Day Intermittent Fasting Put to the Test (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/Alternate-Day-Intermittent-Fasting-Put-to-the-Test)
• Is Alternate-Day Intermittent Fasting Safe? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-alternate-day-intermittent-fasting-safe)
• Does Intermittent Fasting Increase Human Life Expectancy? (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-intermittent-fasting-increase-human-life-expectancy)
I close it out with time-restricted eating in Time-Restricted Eating Put to the Test (https://nutritionfacts.org/video/time-restricted-eating-put-to-the-test) and The Benefits of Early Time-Restricted Eating (http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-benefits-of-early-time-restricted-eating), coming up soon.
If you want them all in one place, I’ve also done three webinars on fasting, which are all available for download now at https://drgreger.org/collections/downloads.
Have a question about this video? Leave it in the comment section at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-5-2-diet-and-the-fasting-mimicking-diet-put-to-the-test and someone on the NutritionFacts.org team will try to answer it.
Want to get a list of links to all the scientific sources used in this video? Click on Sources Cited at http://nutritionfacts.org/video/the-5-2-diet-and-the-fasting-mimicking-diet-put-to-the-test. You’ll also find a transcript and acknowledgements for the video, my blog and speaking tour schedule, and an easy way to search (by translated language even) through our videos spanning more than 2,000 health topics.
If you’d rather watch these videos on YouTube, subscribe to my YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=nutritionfactsorg
Thanks for watching. I hope you’ll join in the evidence-based nutrition revolution!
-Michael Greger, MD FACLM
Captions for this video are available in several languages. To find yours, click on the settings wheel on the lower-right of the video and then “Subtitles/CC.”
Image credit: Couleur / pixnio
• Subscribe: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/subscribe
• Donate: http://www.NutritionFacts.org/donate
• HOW NOT TO DIE: http://nutritionfacts.org/book
• Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/NutritionFacts.org
• Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/nutrition_facts
• Instagram: http://instagram.com/nutrition_facts_org/
• Podcast : http://nutritionfacts.org/audio/