DANIEL 1 – Daniel’s Diet makes you 10 times wiser! – (original title, ‘Babylon’s Buffet’).
“may your whole SPIRIT, SOUL, and BODY be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Thessalonians 5:23 NKJV.
The original video is from November 2014, but is uploaded here as an aid in understanding the Book of Daniel, the focus of 3 months of studies starting January 2020.
Scripture: Daniel 1:1-21, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20, Romans 12:1
We worship God with both our mind and our body. When our mind is clear and our body is healthy it is easier to serve God and to resist the devil.
“Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify[g – set you apart] you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. 24 He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.” 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 NKJV.
(Added notes) THE BIBLE DIET FOR HEALTHY HUMANS
1) In the Garden of Eden God said, Genesis 1:29 ““I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.”
And after sin, Genesis 3:18 “you shall eat the herb of the field”. Adam and Eve were now given a purely vegetarian diet.
2) After the flood God said to Noah, Genesis 9:3-4, “3 Everything that lives and moves about will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything. 4 “But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it.”
This rule about blood was repeated at the Jerusalem council in Acts 15:29 “You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood …”
3) Noah knew about the distinction between clean and unclean animals: Genesis 7:2 “Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate”.
This rule was repeated to the Hebrew nation in Leviticus 11:1-4, “‘Of all the animals that live on land, these are the ones you may eat: 3 You may eat any animal that has a divided hoof and that chews the cud. 4 “‘There are some that only chew the cud or only have a divided hoof, but you must not eat them.”
4) But didn’t Jesus declare all foods clean in Mark 7:18-19?
You will notice that the King James Bible omits (In saying this, Jesus declared all foods “clean”), whereas many modern translations have the words in brackets. This was not in the original manuscript but has been added by those who wanted to justify the eating of pork!
5) Death is a result of sin. We believe that we will not kill to eat in the Earth made new, Isaiah 65:25 “the lion will eat straw like the ox”.
As we are not there yet, let us honour God and be good to ourselves by living wisely. That means healthy food choices, thoughts of faith and goodness, peace of mind, and living in harmony with our family, neighbours, friends and even our enemies (we will need the Spirit’s help in all of this).